Medela Pump in Style Advanced – for the ‘Serial Pumper’!
Medela Pump in Style advanced is hands down my #1 pick when it comes to electric breast pumps. This is one work-horse of a breast pump. You can use it every day, several times a day and it just keeps going and going. So if you’re a mom that’s a ‘serial pumper’ like me, you need this!
Read on for my complete review.
- This particular model, the Medela Pump in Style advanced with on the go tote, comes in a stylish tote bag with the pump built into it for a super discreet look. All supplies fit neatly into this bag.
- 9 volt AC adaptor
- Battery pack so you can pump anywhere.
- Removable insulated cooler bag that can hold 4 bottles
- Ice pack
- 4 breast milk bottles, 5oz/150ml capacity each
- 24 mm breast shields (Average size, fits most. If you need bigger, order them separately).
- PersonalFit connectors, valves, tubing
- Instruction manual.
How do I know my breast shield size?
While all medela breast pump kits come with standard 24 mm breast shields, it may or may not be the right fit for you. Other sizes are 21 mm, 27 mm, 30 mm, 36 mm. Proper breast shield size is not just more comfortable but allows you to pump more efficiently. How do you know which size is right? Medela has a guide on their website to help you but here’s a summary.
First, measure the diameter of your nipple at the base, across the middle, in mm. Then refer to below
|Nipple Diameter in mm||Breast shield size|
|Upto 17 mm||21 mm|
|Upto 20 mm||24 mm|
|Upto 23 mm||27 mm|
|Upto 26 mm||30 mm|
|Upto 32 mm||36 mm|
For a more detailed reading, you can check out their guide here
Is the pump built into the bag or is it removable?
It’s attached to the bag with Velcro but it’s easy to remove it.
How often can I use it without worrying that it will wear out?
From my personal experience, mine lasted for two kids and was still going strong so I give it away to another mom who proceeded to use it for another child.
Most users report that it lasts for years and years and find it to be very durable. One mom actually said that she didn’t think it would EVER wear out. Jokes aside, if you do have any issues within the first year, Medela has an awesome warranty to cover it.
I’m concerned with BPA in the plastic bottles that come with this and want to use glass bottles. Can I?
Firstly, Medela clearly assures users that any parts that come in contact with breastmilk as absolutely free of BPA.
However, if you still want to use glass bottles, I found that any bottle with a standard size opening will fit.
How comfortable is the suction?
Very comfortable, with an adjustable vacuum setting so you can find your own level. Medela Pump in Style advanced is designed to work at what they call is the Maximum Comfort Vacuum – highest vacuum a mother can tolerate and still be comfortable. You increase the vacuum till it feels slightly uncomfortable and then bring it down slightly till it’s just right.
What is ‘2 phase expression® technology’ that this Medela pump has?
2 phase expression® technology is a patented term used by Medela to describe the feature of its pump that mimics a baby’s feeding pattern. First step, just like a baby, the suction is fast and light, to get the milk flow going. Second step, called the ‘let down’ mimics a baby’s slower, deeper suck once the milk flow has started.
Is it portable?
It is very portable and all the needed supplies fit neatly into the tote bag. It also looks very discreet and not bulky or obvious.
Is there room in the tote bag for a computer or other items?
There isn’t room for a laptop but you could fit smaller items like keys, wallet etc. More if you remove the cooler bag.
Is it noisy?
While it has a sound, I wouldn’t call it noisy, just more of a background hum that doesn’t disturb or bother.
Is clean up easy?
Clean up is pretty easy and consists of only the bottles and breast shields. Even though it’s an open system, meaning fluid can get into the tubes, it rarely, if ever does. Just follow the instructions that come with the pump and you should not have any issues.
Where is it made?
It’s made in the USA
What is the difference between Pump in Style vs Pump in Style Advanced
There are 3 major differences between Medela’s Pump in Style vs Medela Pump in Style advanced:
- Pump in Style is the older model that doesn’t have Medela’s 2-phase expression technology which is designed to mimic a baby’s feeding pattern: fast for a few minutes to stimulate letdown, then slower.
- It’s also attached to the bag it comes in whereas the advanced versions are detachable from the bag.
- The Advanced version has a single control for vacuum and speed. Pump in Style has separate controls.
As far as I know, the Pump in Style version has been phased out by Medela
Based on user reviews and my own experience, I give this pump a 5 star rating as it satisfied all 4 criteria I was looking for in a breast pump. .
- Comfort – can it mimic the nursing pattern of a baby? YES, thanks to the patented 2 phase expression technology
- Suction – is it able to suck out the maximum amount of milk while being comfortable. YES, allowing you to adjust to your Maximum Comfort Vacuum
- Affordability – can you buy it without breaking the bank? YES
- Portability – can it go anywhere with you? YES
Well, we all know there’s no such thing as a perfect product and a review wouldn’t be complete without pointing out any negatives. So here are the two main items that could be a concern for some:
- Some users have complained that the Pump in Style advanced has only one control for adjusting speed and vacuum (previous models had separate controls). While this may seem an issue, the truth is that by introducing the 2 phase technology, Medela has successfully simulated the natural feeding pattern of the baby, which is what we want.
- It’s an open system which means there is a possibility of breast milk coming into the tubes. However, for the vast majority of users, this never happens specially if you follow the instructions given with the pump.
And now, the most important question! How much is this going to cost?
If you’re in the market for a Medela Pump in Style advanced breast pump, the best price is usually at Amazon so check it out there.