The Bellema Mango Plus breast pump is a good choice for a mom on a tight budget.
If you haven’t heard of Bellema, that’s because this brand is a newcomer in the breast pump industry. Founded in 2014 in California, it has quickly made a name for itself with nursing moms.
At the time of this writing, Bellema products are only available online, either directly at their website or through Amazon. Since there is no retail outlet for you to physically to see the product before buying, I’ve tried to make this review as comprehensive as possible.
Bellema’s vision is ‘to enhance the ultimate nursing experience for all mothers’. Let’s see how they do with the Bellema Mango Plus Single Electric breast pump.
- The pump motor with LED screen
- 1 Breast Suction Kit including a breast shield, a soft silicone cushion, tubing and membrane
- 2 extra membranes
- 1 wide neck 4oz storage bottle with nipple & lid so you pump and use directly to feed the baby.
- 1 bottle adapter so you can use standard size bottles with the pump
- 1 bottle base, in case you want to stand the bottle on a table while pumping handsfree.
- AC adaptor
- Silver bag for transporting or storing
- Neck strap which attaches to the pump for hands free, on the go pumping.
- Info manual with warranty information
Does it come with a battery pack?
The Bellema breast pump doesn’t come with a rechargeable battery pack but it works with 4 “AA” batteries (sold separately).
What’s the size of the breast shield on the Bellema pump?
The shield is actually 27mm but it fits a soft silicone cushion which makes it 24 mm. This silicone cushion makes it very comfortable to use and forms a nice seal between the shield and the breast.
How often can I use it?
It can be used every day with no problem. Keep in mind that if you are looking to pump on a constant basis or pump exclusively (meaning you don’t breast feed directly at all) this would not be the right choice for you. If that is the case, you should think about investing in a double pump.
How comfortable is this pump?
According to users, this breast pump feels very soft and comfortable.
It has a 2-phase pumping which mimics a baby’s natural feeding pattern. When you turn it on, it automatically starts in stimulation mode for 2 minutes and then switches to expression.
There are +(plus) and – (minus) buttons with 9 adjustable suction settings so that you can set it to your desired level of comfort. You can also switch between expression and simulation as needed. When you change the suction setting, the speed setting adjusts automatically.
What’s unique is its memory function which remembers your last setting so you don’t have to adjust or fiddle with it next time.
Overall a strong suction that is adjustable to your level of comfort.
Is it portable?
This pump is designed to be very light and travel worthy particularly since it can run on batteries. You can take this with you wherever you go
Is it noisy?
Most users report that this is a fairly quiet pump.
Is it BPA free?
Yes and it has been approved by the FDA
Is clean up easy?
Clean up is very easy, there are literally 4 parts to clean. The breast shield, the silicone breast cushion, the valve and the bottle.
The Bellema breast pump is a closed system so milk cannot get into the tubing or the pump which makes it clean up a snap.
Where is it made?
The Bellema breast pump is made in China
Does it work with 220V?
Yes this pump is a dual voltage pump and will work at 110 V as well as 220V.
Are the bottles of the Bellema Mango breast pump compatible with other brands?
The Bellema breast pump bottle comes with a wide neck bottle which is compatible with Philips Avent Natural and Classic bottles. It also comes with a bottle adaptor which means is compatible with all standard size bottles like Medela and Dr Browns.
What’s the manufacturer warranty?
Bellema provides a 1 year warranty from the date of purchase.
Overall Rating 4.2/5
We give the Bellema Mango Plus Single Electric Breast Pump a 4.2/5 overall rating.
Here’s a summary:
- Small, compact and very portable.
- The most affordable in single electric pumps. This review is for the Bellema Mango Plus breast pump which has an LED screen. The version without the LED screen is even cheaper.
- Comfortable and very easy to use
- Closed system so milk cannot enter the tubing or get to the pump.
- Takes longer to pump vs a double pump (but of course!)
- Some users said it’s a bit loud for its tiny size! You have to remember it is a mechanical device that is working with a suction pump…it WILL have some noise.
- There is no separate control for the speed, only suction. However, that’s not such a bit issue because the pump is designed to synchronize the right speed for the relevant level of suction.
- Made in China. This is not a negative in any way except as a preference for some people.
And now, the most important question! How much is this going to cost?
Whether you are looking to buy the Bellema Mango Plus breast pump (with LED light) or Bellema Mango (without LED) I’ve always found the best price on Amazon, so check latest price here. The Bellema Mango model (without the LED screen) is usually $10 less than the plus model.